Jan 19, 2014

Roaches Comic

By Paul Schmitt   Posted at  10:09 PM  Jan 19, 2014   comics No comments

Roaches

Roaches began as a "one-off" attempt at a webcomic. The series got started in black-and-white in winter of 2009-2010.

Up to this point, I had spent nearly 100% of my time working in Graphic Design for agencies or as a Web Designer for large companies. During an abrupt downturn in the American economy I found myself, along with many of my friends and former co-workers, as a qualified, experienced and educated professional designer who was suddenly left out in the cold by a job market almost entirely without jobs in my field.

It was time to go back to what got me into the field in the first place - cartooning.


Title art for my original indie comic comic series Roaches.

My first webcomic, Roaches, used some basic Illustrator art and was a minor league hit. Instead of being repulsed - people got interested. In fact, some folks got so interested they actually spent weeks posting about how awful it was on the webcomic boards. These negative reviews, which were clearly written by irrational, angry people, did more for me than anything else. All of these professional condemnations drove huge amounts of traffic to my webcomic and earned me quite a few dedicated fans.

Today, I have one edition in print in almost a dozen comics shops in Indiana and Ohio. The second edition is on it's way this year.

About the Author

Paul Schmitt started Gargantuan Media after he graduated from college at The Minneapolis College of Art and Design in 2003. Since then, he has worked for Fortune 500 publishers and retailers as a Graphic Artist, Web Designer and Designer across the county. He has directed documentary films, published comics and animated short films. He currently lives and works in the Indianapolis area.
View all posts by: Paul Schmitt

0 comments:

Back to top ↑
Connect With Us

    Popular Posts

©2014 Gargantuan Media |